This post was written today by my friend Jay Thompson, on behalf of Jamie Geiger, a real estate agent in his office. While this tragedy happened across the country from us, in Phoenix, Arizona, the story bears sharing here, in the hopes that this does not happen to another promising young life:
Last week we received devastating news that Thompson’s Realty agent Jamie Geiger lost her son Ryan to an accidental drug overdose.
Ryan Geiger turned 18 less than three weeks ago. He was a freshman in college, and like most other teenage boys loved playing X-Box, going to the movies and hanging out with his friends. He also loved his mother dearly, often asking her what she needed and offering his birthday and Christmas money to help out. He never judged anyone and had many friends.
I had the pleasure of meeting Ryan and can attest that he was a great kid. Personable, sharp as a tack, funny and the holder of a huge heart. He was a very compassionate and caring young man with a very bright future ahead of him.
Ryan was not a drug addict. He made a horrific mistake experimenting with drugs and now he is gone. Forever.
Jamie is understandably devastated. Personally, I can’t imagine the pain losing a child entails. She asked me to write this article, saying to me in an email:
“I would like to ask you to share Ryan’s story with others on your blog, going forward I want to make sure this does not happen to other children, Ryan made a horrible choice and it cost him his life-he was not a drug addict, just an 18 year old that was “curious”. Thank you for all your support and I truly hope to help other kids see the what just one bad choice can do to so many people.”
This is a noble gesture on Jamie’s part and shows tremendous courage. Rather than crawl under the covers and hide from what must be inconceivable pain, she wants to get the message out – to parents and children – that one bad choice, one moment of weakness, one submission to peer pressure can end everything. Ryan left behind loving friends and family that are coping with their loss as best they can. They all have a very long road ahead of them.
Please, share Ryan’s story with your friends, and especially your children. Help them understand what just one bad decision can do, and its everlasting affect on others.
God speed Ryan.
— Jay Thompson
Ryan died from a drug overdose after deciding to try it ‘just one time’. I cannot imagine what his family is going through. Please share this with your children, as I will with mine.