In the land of overachievers that is LoCo, there is no way fitness takes a backseat. No matter how hot or cold it gets we see runners, walkers, and cyclists on the streets. Even though we aren’t a family of runners it’s hard not to notice the number of Turkey Trots in our area. Around the holidays we all try to find a way to help those in need and for many these are a great way to do so. If you are looking for a race or two to run, here are your local options:
- Freeze Your Gizzard: Nov. 22nd at Ida Lee Park. The 5K race starts at 9:00 and the 1 mile fun run starts at 9:45. Entry is $25 and $10 respectively, plus 2 cans of food. The food will be donated to the Loudoun Interfaith Relief’s food bank.
- Ashburn Farm Thanksgiving Day Race: Nov. 27th at Crossroads United Methodist Church. The 10K begins at 8:15, 5K starts at 8:25, and the 2K starts at 8:35. Fees range from $15 – $35 and help support Crossroads’ efforts in Uganda.
- Lansdowne on the Potomac Turkey Trot: Nov. 27th at Lansdowne Potomac Club. The 5K races begins at 8:00, the 1 mile walk/run begins at 8:05. Registration must be completed by Nov. 24th and is $25 for adults and $15 for children. Proceeds benefit Boulder Crest Retreat in Bluemont.
If you want to venture outside of LoCo, here are a few others close by:
- Turkey Trot 10K: Nov. 22nd at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico. Part of the Marine Corps Marathon series, the race starts at 8:30 for the 5K and 8:50 for the Mile dash.
- Vienna Turkey Trot: Nov. 23rd at the Vienna Volunteer Fire Dept. Fees range from $20-$35 and help support the James Madison High School band as well as the Vienna Vol.. Fire Dept.
- Trot for Hunger: Thanksgiving Day at Freedom Plaza, Washington D.C. Races start at 8:30 and proceeds support the SOME foundation which feeds the homeless in DC.
If nothing else entering in one of these will make you feel better about that second plate of turkey!